Friday, June 10, 2005

WHO WILL HELP MEMORY?


Eyewitness: Zimbabwe demolitions.

Thousands of homes have been demolished in Zimbabwe's cities.The Zimbabwean government has demolished the homes and businesses of at least 200,000 people as part of a plan to evict street traders and demolish illegal townships in the country's cities, according to the UN.
The government says the move is needed to clean up the cities but some feel it is punishment for areas which voted for the opposition. BBC Radio 4's Today programme broadcast this interview with a former resident of one of the townships, identified only as Memory.

I woke up in the morning around 6 o'clock and soon realised that the police were there and armed with AK-47's.
They had come armed to evict a defenceless people.
I asked them only one question - "Why are you doing this?"
They replied "Only the President can answer that question - go to him."
They came and destroyed my house and right now I am on the street with my children.
My daughters are only eight and four years old and now they are sleeping on the roadside.
There is no sanitation and no water and they ask me: "Dad - what is going on? When are we going home?"
It was too painful for me to answer that question.
I had lived in the township for five years and we were paying rates to the local authorities.
My neighbours are all crying - everyone is crying. Some of them have even decided to take their own lives.
I've got nowhere to go and no money. My kids are crying for food and are looking at me.
When I look at my children, the tears flow from my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home