Sunday, February 26, 2006

PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON LIFE IN SOMALIA NOW!

Life in Somalia:
Personal stories.
Eight residents of Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, tell us what the new government's priorities should be and how they have survived 13 years of anarchy.

Mahamut:Scrap metal worker
"I smash the foundations of the US embassy wall to get steel rods to sell"

Nimo:Khat dealer
"The government should regulate khat - it's bad. I wish I had another job"

Abdullahi:Cattle-herder
"We were chased off our land by a group who had more weapons than us"

Abdi:Refugee
"I see a dark future for my children. There are no schools or health services"

Abdidir:Bus driver
"We can accept President Yusuf even though he is from northern Somalia"

Bashir:Gunman
"The gun rules Somalia today - my gun is how I support my family"

Halima:Refugee
"I am too busy looking for food to think about the peace process"

Idi:Singer
"Only members of the armed clans can have big parties for their weddings"

BBC NEWS REPORT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home