Monday, March 26, 2007

UNDER-FIRE CHAPPELL ON DEFENSIVE !

Chappell came in for some tough questioning from the Indian media. India coach Greg Chappell has hit back at his critics after his side's exit from the World Cup at the group stages.
India, one of the pre-tournament favourites, lost to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka as they failed to progress.
Chappell said: "There's nothing more to say than, 'We didn't play well enough'. We didn't perform when the time came, that's the long and the short of it.
"I don't know what you want me to say. Do you want me to criticise someone in particular? I'm not prepared to."
Chappell, interviewed by BBC World Service Sport, insisted that he was satisfied with his side's preparation ahead of the World Cup.
He said: "Obviously I'm happy to take some responsibility - I'm the coach.
The preparation was good, but the execution on the day was not
Greg Chappell
"But I don't think the coaching staff alone should be blamed for what's happened here.
"I'm happy that I've done the best job I could do, and so did the coaching staff and support staff.
"The planning was good, the preparation was good, but the execution on the day was not.
"India haven't won an overseas tournament since 1985. There are obviously some reasons, but I'm not prepared to go into them at this stage."
Chappell refused to comment on reports that his time coaching India may be at an end.
He said: "Obviously I will have to face up to them (the Board of Control for Cricket in India) and give them a report and tell them what I think."
The BCCI has confirmed it will analyse the team's elimination, with both Chappell and captain Rahul Dravid's jobs expected to be key topics for discussion.
The views of former captains Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev will be heard by a special committee at the meeting on 6-7 April.
BBC NEWS REPORT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home