Sunday, April 22, 2007

STUDENTS SHARE GRIEF ON INTERNET !

Students have been using the internet to organise memorial vigils. Hundreds of messages of condolence have been posted on internet sites after 33 people were killed in a shooting rampage at a US university.
Students at Virginia Tech University, where the massacre took place, have been sharing their grief on networking websites like myspace and facebook.
Many people have used online message boards to organise memorial vigils.
Others have posted information on victims and survivors or to let family and friends know they are okay.
Planet Blacksburg, named for Virginia Tech's hometown, has been running a message board called The Wall: A Community in Grief, which has gathered more than 300 expressions of condolence and support.
Sense of outrage
Maureen had this to say: "As a graduate from VT, I have been struggling with a gamut of emotions from yesterday's events... I cry one minute and not the next. I am not sure how I should feel or what I should say."
From across the US and around the world, messages of condolence have been posted on other websites.
Why the hell does [stuff] like this happen? WHY?... I pray for all of the families of the victims, I hate seeing this kind of thing happen -Reid Thompson.

Many of the postings have an image of Virginia Tech's logo with a black ribbon around it.
"My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who was affected by this tragedy," wrote Bryant Sutherland from Pittsburgh on facebook.
In many of the online messages the grief is mixed with a sense of outrage.
From Lima, Ohio, Reid Thompson wrote: "Why the hell does [stuff] like this happen? WHY? These situations make responsible gun owners like me look bad, I just don't know why people can't control themselves. I pray for all of the families of the victims, I hate seeing this kind of thing happen."
'I'm ok at VT'
The administration at Virginia Tech has organised a variety of vigils and services for students, staff and relatives of victims.
On facebook, there have been dozens of postings advertising candlelight vigils at Virginia Tech and at colleges and universities across the United States.
"I sent out the group (message) at about six pm (Monday) to 80-100 people," Virginia Tech student Thomas Lane told Planet Blackwater.
"About 45-50 people actually attended. I'm impressed by the universities all over the country. Schools from all over have sent me things."
Students at the University of Texas are using facebook to organise a vigil for 23 April. More than 570 people have confirmed on the website that they will attend.
A group called I'm ok at VT has been set up on facebook where information on people killed and injured in the shootings has been posted.
One student asked: "Has anyone heard about Nicole White?? She sits beside me in my Abnormal Psychology class and I really want to know if she is ok."
The reply came six postings later: "Nicole White was just confirmed to have been shot and killed yesterday, please pray for her family."
BBC NEWS REPORT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home