Thursday, June 28, 2007

UGANDAN VICTIM 'LEFT FOR DEAD' !

Tuesday 26 June is the UN's Day Against Torture. Twenty years since the UN convention against the use of torture came into force, a Ugandan victim of torture, who wishes to remain anonymous, tells the BBC how he was picked up in the capital, Kampala, by government security forces after being accused of robbery.
He said he was tortured in a so-called "safe house" for about eight days before he passed out and woke up in a military hospital. He remained in custody for 11 months until the case against him collapsed about three years ago.
Uganda's government, once hailed as a democratic model, is now increasingly being accused of repressive methods against its perceived enemies and criminal suspects.
But it says it is working the country's Human Rights Commission, which paid out $160,000 to torture victims last year, to ensure all reported cases of torture are dealt with.

There was a lot of torturing in that place. They would beat everyone there.
I don't think I will ever be the same again -Ugandan victim of torture.
They would use each and everything - tying, flat irons, pliers to remove fingernails...
They did it to me in my foot.
They pulled my toe nails out with pliers.
They used a hosepipe to push water in my ears.
My left ear drum was perforated and I am still suffering.
They beat me terribly.
In fact, I have got scars all over my left side.
And then, they left me for dead.
I don't think I will ever be the same again.
I don't think so because at times, the sores I have ooze with pus.
I use eye drops, swallow some tablets, get some injections...
But still, all my left side is not functioning like it should.
BBC NEWS REPORT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home