Sunday, September 30, 2007

DRUG IS A PROBLEM, MICHAEL ADMITS !

Pop singer George Michael has admitted his marijuana use can be "a problem" and said he is "constantly trying" to smoke less of the drug.
"Absolutely I would like to take less, no question," he said. "To that degree, it's a problem."
But he added he did not think his habit was "getting in the way of my life in any way".
"I'm a happy man and I can afford my marijuana so that's not a problem," he told BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs.
Michael has previously said the world would be an "easier place to live with" if cannabis was legal.
In the Radio 4 interview, he also urged listeners to support troubled singer Amy Winehouse, who he called "the best female vocalist" he had ever heard.
He chose a track by Winehouse - who has reportedly had her own drug problems - as one of his castaway discs, saying she was also "one of the best writers" he had come across.
"All I can say is, please, please understand how brilliant you are."
Empathising through his own relationship with the press, the ex-Wham! star added: "I wish her every success in the future.
"I know she can get past the media. I don't know if she can get past other things, but she's a fantastic talent and we should support her."

Michael touched on a wide variety of subjects during his interview with presenter Kirsty Young.
Talking about his 25th anniversary tour, he said it had been "a very bizarre year".
"You can't imagine what it's like playing to people who have been loyal to you for 25 years and haven't seen you for 15.
"That's been the most life-affirming thing I could have done. I'm so glad I did it."
He described his childhood, revealing he believes he only became a pop star because he suffered a bang on the head.

"At the age of about eight I had a head injury and I know it sounds bizarre and unlikely, but it was quite a bad bang," he said.
"I had it stitched up and stuff, but all my interests changed, everything changed in six months.
"I had been obsessed with insects and creepy crawlies, I used to get up at five o'clock in the morning and go out into this field behind our garden and collect insects before everyone else got up.
"Suddenly, all I wanted to know about was music, it just seemed a very, very strange thing.
"And I have a theory that maybe it was something to do with this accident, this whole left-brain right-brain thing.
"Nobody in my family seemed to notice but I became absolutely obsessed with music and everything changed after that."
The interview will be broadcast on Desert Island Discs, Radio 4, at 1115 BST and repeated on Friday at 0902.
BBC NEWS REPORT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home