Friday, October 19, 2007

HAMILTON READY FOR TITLE DECIDER !

Lewis Hamilton's attempt to become the first driver to win the Formula One title in his debut season begins at the Brazilian Grand Prix on Friday. The Englishman, 22, has to see off the challenge of his McLaren team-mate, and reigning champion, Fernando Alonso as well as Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

The three men get their bid under way when practice starts at 1300 BST at the Interlagos track in Sao Paulo. Hamilton leads Alonso by four points, with Raikkonen three further back. If Hamilton wins or comes second, the title is his, but after that there are a number of possible eventualities - and the fact that Alonso will be champion if the Spaniard wins and Hamilton is third or lower emphasises how close it is. But if Alonso finishes outside the top four his hopes disappear, while Raikkonen has to come first or second to keep his slim chances alive.

Hamilton insists he will start the weekend with a renewed confidence after the disappointment of spinning out in China two weeks ago with the championship in his grasp. "I thought China would knock my confidence, but I've come out of it stronger for whatever reason," he said. "There was a lot of pressure building up to the race and it was not a great weekend, but I feel totally relaxed and fully confident in the team's ability to challenge for the title." However, Hamilton said he was aware that he may have to excercise some caution, particularly at the first corner. "I'm approaching it the same as every race, I just want to finish," he continued. "I have to enter the first corner with a clear mind - either to take the lead or gain a place. But I don't want to take too many risks."

Alonso clinched his two consecutive world titles at this same South American track with a third-place finish in 2005 and second place last year, but he too knows that he cannot afford to be reckless. "It is a lucky circuit because I have won two championships here," the Spaniard said. "I have great memories and hopefully this year can continue - I know all the combinations I need to win the title but not one of those is retirement. The main thing is to finish the race."

Raikkonen was in philosophical mood over his chances of winning a first title despite having a good record at Interlagos with three second places. "It is not up to us any more but I will do the best I can and we will see what happens," the Finn said. Raikkonen's team-mate Felipe Massa won the race last year and hinted that his role may change throughout the weekend. "I would be happy to see my team win the title, but it (Massa's role) depends on Kimi's chances to win the championship," the Brazilian said. "But my heart is to try and win the race."

Hamilton could complete a memorable double for English sport on Sunday if he wins the title, with the rugby union team taking on South Africa in the World Cup final in Paris on Saturday evening, just hours after qualifying ends in Brazil. "'I'm just proud and pleased to be in the sort of position where I can do something, and I really, really hope England win," said Hamilton. "It would be one of the best times for our country."

Hamilton said he was already finding it an emotional experience to be in the home city and final resting place of one of his idols, the late Ayrton Senna. "All the years I've been watching Formula One, literally from the beginning of my karting career, I've had books and videos on Senna," said Hamilton. "To watch them and see him in his home country, see how people view him over here, and then to finally come to this country, his home turf and where his resting place is, it's quite touching. "Knowing my hotel is only a couple of miles from where he is - and that is the closest I've ever been to him - it's quite an unusual experience for me." And he said he may now cancel his plans to visit Senna's grave in the Morumbi cemetery after the race is over. "I've not been there and it's not really crossed my mind to be honest," he said. "I doubt very much I'll go now because I know I'll be followed. So I'll have to do it on another trip."
BBC SPORTS REPORT

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home