Tuesday, September 15, 2009

MESSAGE BOTTLE FLOATS 2,000 MILES !

A Canadian author has been reunited with a message in a bottle following its 2,000-mile, five month-long journey across the Atlantic.
Ross Traverse had expected the bottle to wash up somewhere along the coast from his home in Torbay, Newfoundland.
However, it was found by RSPB Scotland managers Val and Mike Peacock during a beach clean on the isle of Oronsay.
Mr Traverse travelled by plane, train, ferry and small boat to reach the isle off the west coast of Scotland.
He increased the $100 reward offered to the finder to $150 to help the charities involved in the beach clean.
Mr Traverse launched the bottle as a publicity stunt in 2007 for a gardening book he had written.

He said: "I tied the bottle to a dozen helium filled party balloons and waited till the wind was blowing in the right direction, south east, which would take it out over the ocean."
Five months later there was a call to his home from Scotland.
Mr Traverse said: "I was next door, at my neighbour's when my wife called to say people had phoned from Scotland to say they had found my bottle.
"I called back and was told that there had been a beach clean on Oronsay and they had found my bottle. They couldn't believe it and I couldn't believe it. I had no idea it would travel all the way to Scotland."
Mrs Peacock said she had spotted the bottle a couple of days before the beach clean while walking her dogs.
She added: "One of the lads on the beach clean picked it up and threw it to another, who opened it and found there was a $100 reward."
Mr Traverse's wife arranged his trip to Scotland as a surprise.
The bottle has been left with its finders on Oronsay.
BBC NEWS REPORT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home