Sunday, September 20, 2009

S.A. WANTS ATHLETICS CHIEF 'FIRED' !

The South African government has called for athletics chief Leonard Chuene to be sacked for denying knowledge of runner Caster Semenya's gender tests.
Governing body the IAAF ordered the tests after Semenya's 800m world title win in August, but Chuene consistently denied they were taking place.
In a statement, Deputy Minister of Sport Gert Oosthuizen demanded Athletics South Africa "fire" Chuene.
"If they fail to do so, they run the risk of being led by a liar," he said.
The statement added his ministry had been shocked when Chuene admitted lying about his knowledge of tests conducted on Semenya ahead of the athletics World Championships in Berlin last month.
Information from the confidential gender tests was leaked to the press ahead of the official publication of the results.
Oosthuizen said his department had twice requested a report from Chuene on events before, during and after Berlin, but had received nothing in return.
Chuene admitted on Saturday that he had lied to the South African public about his knowledge of the tests, conducted on Semenya in Pretoria on 7 August, but said the deception had been intended to protect Semenya's confidentiality.
"Mr Chuene has not only lied to us as the ministry, but to the whole country, and this is not acceptable," the statement contended.
"We are convinced that the perpetual denial of knowledge of these tests has fuelled the continuous violation of Ms Semenya's rights and dignity, by foreign and some local media.
"We are of the view that his lies were to Ms Semenya's detriment."
South Africa's official opposition party, the Democratic Alliance, joined in the calls for Chuene to leave his post.
Democratic Alliance spokesman Donald Lee said Chuene had seriously damaged South Africa's image.
Chuene apologised for his actions on Saturday, admitting: "It was an error of judgement and I could have been more forthcoming with this information, even if it was difficult."
Semenya first burst on to the world stage in July when she ran one minute, 56.72 seconds for the 800m in Bambous, smashing her previous personal best by more than seven seconds.
Though South African officials insisted no gender tests were carried out within the country, it has emerged that the IAAF asked for Semenya to be withdrawn from the South African team for the World Championships following initial tests conducted locally, before the event

However, Athletics South Africa insisted she should run and has since said it is certain she is female, a claim backed up by her family.
Chuene said he "was not going to stop her talent because of rumours" and said conclusive test results had not been available.
"On what basis should I have withdrawn her? My only crime committed was to take a decision that she must run, and she won."
Semenya won the world title in another personal best of 1:55.45, two seconds clear of defending champion Janeth Jepkosgei.
The IAAF ordered more tests following that victory, which BBC Sport understands are likely to show Semenya has an intersex status, exhibiting both male and female sex characteristics.
BBC SPORTS REPORT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home